🕫 NEW 🕫- Kaseya Certified Expert Training Camp launches on 8/23. Class size is limited. Learn more > https://www.community.connectit.com/events/28-kaseya-certified-expert-traincamp-august-23rd-september-2nd

Windows 10 update to latest version

124»

Comments

• Danial
    Danial Member
    edited December 2020

@Karl, you are incorrect. 

The link doesn't really matter. Of course, they release a newer version of the application, but the application is designed to always update the computer to the latest version available for update.

For example, if 20H2 weren't out yet, it would install 2004 for you, and now that it is out, it will install that for you until the next release become publicly available for everyone.

• Karl Hague
    Karl Hague Member CHOCOLATE MILK
    edited December 2020

@Daniel

Our experience would argue otherwise.  If you have an old version of Windows10Upgrade9252.exe it will deploy whatever version was current at the time of its creation.  The links I posted above were the current versions of Windows10Upgrade9252.exe during those release eras and those links continue to work, permitting you to still download the old versions.  When you visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445 you will always get the latest edition of Windows10Upgrade9252.exe.

• Rick Rodriguez
    edited December 2020

@Karl Hague, thanks for the additional information.  I can confirm the 2004 link only installs 2004.  

• Mari Pena
    Mari Pena Member
    edited January 2021

I have down loaded the agent procedure. I am a little bit confuse.

I can use this agent procedure to upgrade from 1803 to 1903. But what about machines that are running version 1909. Which may need to upgrade the next version which 20H2. Will this procedure work for me.

• Eric Peacock
    Eric Peacock United StatesMember CHOCOLATE MILK
    edited January 2021

@Mari Pena - this procedure actually downloads the latest/current Windows 10 update assistant. When this post was made, Win10 v1903 was the latest. At the present time, this will upgrade to 20H2.

Karl Hague has posted the correct links that you could use in this procedure for other versions of Windows 10 in previous comments.

• robert constance
    edited February 2021

About 10% of ours work. The other say it works but it has not been updated. Also it does not prompt for a reboot

• Jeff Lorenzen
    Jeff Lorenzen Boulder, COMember CHOCOLATE MILK
    edited February 2021

@robertconstance, 

We've had great success with the "fileless" version.  However, I've seen certain things can cause it to fail out.  AV/AM, Drivers/firmware, VPN clients, backup agents, etc.  Be sure to test out what's going on by collecting and reviewing logs, or even running it manually on an endpoint that failed.  You may find the common denominator that can be a converted to a procedure you run prior to the upgrade that will give you a better success rate.  Our execution line (where #win# is our variable for the temporary installation directory): 

#win#\Windows10Upgrade9252.exe /quietinstall /skipeula /auto upgrade /copylogs #win#\logs

If it fails we can read the logs in the directory referenced in the line.
    Jeff

• Jeff Lorenzen
    Jeff Lorenzen Boulder, COMember CHOCOLATE MILK
    edited February 2021

@robertconstance, 

We've had great success with the "fileless" version.  However, I've seen certain things can cause it to fail out.  AV/AM, Drivers/firmware, VPN clients, backup agents, etc.  Be sure to test out what's going on by collecting and reviewing logs, or even running it manually on an endpoint that failed.  You may find the common denominator that can be a converted to a procedure you run prior to the upgrade that will give you a better success rate.  Our execution line (where #win# is our variable for the temporary installation directory): 

#win#\Windows10Upgrade9252.exe /quietinstall /skipeula /auto upgrade /copylogs #win#\logs

If it fails we can read the logs in the directory referenced in the line.
    Jeff

• Ken Gregory
    Ken Gregory Member
    edited March 2021

The original description says it will install 1903, then "it will reboot it after 30 minutes automatically".

It's actually downloading the latest version from the Windows Update Assistant, and the reboot is sudden.

The original parameters:

I discovered a combination of parameter that will show progress, including the 30 minute countdown, while still skipping the EULA and forcing the update:

#win#\Windows10Upgrade9252.exe /ShowProgressInTaskBarIcon /skipeula /auto upgrade /copylogs #win#\logs

I give credit to this post for narrowing down all possible parameters:

This gives me more options. Regards,
    Ken

• Ken Gregory
    Ken Gregory Member
    edited March 2021

The original description says it will install 1903, then "it will reboot it after 30 minutes automatically".

It's actually downloading the latest version from the Windows Update Assistant, and the reboot is sudden.

The original parameters:

I discovered a combination of parameter that will show progress, including the 30 minute countdown, while still skipping the EULA and forcing the update:

#win#\Windows10Upgrade9252.exe /ShowProgressInTaskBarIcon /skipeula /auto upgrade /copylogs #win#\logs

I give credit to this post for narrowing down all possible parameters:

This gives me more options. Regards,
    Ken

• AK
    AK Member
    edited April 2021

Is this updating from Win 1809/1909/2004  to 20H2 with the same script?

Weekly Leaderboard