Dell Command | Update 4.5 UWP Install and Update Drivers
Description: This is for Dell Command | Update *Windows 10 UWP app * version 4.5. The procedure will run a powershell script to download Dell command update, uninstall any existing version not containing “4.5”, install 4.5, check for, download and install updates.
This procedure will auto-reboot the computer, with no option for user to cancel or delay.
Requirement: Dell Command Update setting export file. (attached procedure looks for it in "VSASharedFiles\DCU-Settings.xml". You should update the location according to where you place the settings xml file)
There is an included DCU settings XML in the zip attached to this post, but you may want to generate your own.
To generate this, install Dell Command | Update for Windows 10, choose the options you want in Settings, then export to file and it will make the xml for you. Then upload the xml to your VSA shared files area. See below for instructions on the settings file generation.
· This procedure does the following:
(DCU = Dell Command Update)
· Renames existing c:\kworking\DCU folder (if any) with timestamp name to preserve DCU log files
· Creates new folder c:\kworking\DCU
· Checks for correct version of DCU app, uninstalls any other version
· Downloads DCU version 4.5 Windows 10 app if needed, using the powershell script
· Installs DCU Windows 10 app if needed, log file in c:\kworking\DCU
· Checks installer log and automatically reboots if needed. (most people will probably want to change that behavior)
· If reboot is needed after DCU install, the procedure should restart after the reboot, check version again and proceed now that version matches
· Copies DCU-settings.xml (see “Requirements” above), then imports the settings to DCU
· DCU check for updates silently, follows settings you imported, log file in c:\kworking\DCU
· DCU downloads and installs updates silently, follows settings you imported, log file in c:\kworking\DCU
· DCU will auto-reboot if needed. Notification is sent to user
· Download the zip file attached to this page, extract the files.
· Import the procedure xml file into your Procedures folder by right-clicking on the root folder and choosing "Import Folder/Procedure".
· Place the DCU-settings.xml and the download-dell-command-update.ps1 files in your VSA shared files so the “writeFile” function can copy them to the endpoint.
Please review the settings and test before production deployment. The procedure, in its current form, does auto-reboot if needed after installing the app.
· Requirement: Dell Command Update setting export file. (the procedure in the zip file attached to this post looks for it in "VSASharedFiles\DCU-Settings.xml" )
To generate your own DCU settings xml: install Dell Command | Update for Windows 10 on a computer, choose the options you want in Settings, then export to file and it will make the xml for you.
Make sure the file name of the exported XML matches what's in the procedure settings, then upload it to your VSA shared files area.
1 Dell has changed their website so that it requires a “user agent” browser identifier to access. In the past this procedure just used the “getURL” function, however that no longer works for Dell website. The ps1 file in the zip attached to this post sets a powershell browser identifier of Chrome, in order to be able to download from Dell. The procedure in the zip attached to this post looks for that ps1 in the “VSASharedFiles\” location. You should place the ps1 in your VSA shared files and update the procedure to match the location you place the ps1.