Snag a ticket to Connect IT Global - virtual & in-person tickets are still available > https://www.connectit.com/global/

Create Web Desktop Shortcut - Windows

Christopher Tagliaferro
edited October 18 in Product

Product Name: Create Web Desktop Shortcut - Windows

Description : Create a shortcut on the All Users Desktop that opens a specific web URL in the default browser.

Instructions :

Upload to VSA, input variables when you run

Comments

• Buster Davis
    Buster Davis Member
    edited December 2017
    This works well but is there a way when creating a shortcut to run in a certain browser such as IE or Chrome when the shortcut is created?
  • Christopher Tagliaferro
    edited December 2017
    Hi buster, I can look into adding this.
  • Buster Davis
    Buster Davis Member
    edited December 2017
    If you want to email a sample, I can help you try it out. [email protected] is my email address.. Looking forward to getting it though.. I have a big project coming up so it would be helpful ASAP. thanks
  • Christopher Tagliaferro
    edited December 2017
    I just got this working using a different method. I'll e-mail you some of the files to test, but most likely I will add them all to a 'shortcuts' pack and put that up here as a different download.
  • Buster Davis
    Buster Davis Member
    edited December 2017
    This works great with the additional procedures
  • Yuniel Infante
    edited May 2018
    Hi guys, I came across your XML script and it works really good when manually pushing it to users as it asks for Shortcut name and URL but i am trying to automate the deployment by placing it on a policy and i can't get around filling out the XML file with the URL i need pushed so that it just goes and creates the shortcut. Any advise would be really appreciate it.
  • Jack Senesap
    Jack Senesap Member CHOCOLATE MILK
    edited April 2019

Is there one to deploy a shortcut for an exe shortcut?

• Benjamin
    Benjamin Member
    edited April 2019

@Jack

Should be fairly easy to modify the xml to create a shortcut linking to any arbitrary file, but I haven't tried it.

Get the file path of the exe and use that in place of the URL. 

The procedure will use the #shortcutURL# variable and place a '.url file' extension at the end. A shortcut to a normal file is usually a '.lnk' file so change that part.

Good luck

• John Frierson
    John Frierson Member
    edited April 2019

Sounds like this works well for web site urls. Is there a way to modify, or do you know any other methods, for deploying a shortcut link to a file on an internal server? I need to send out an updated link for computers to map to certain drives once connected to VPN to run a batch file to map network drives. 

• Alissia
    Alissia Member
    edited January 2020

I need help with this - I dont know how to fill out the procedure - i dont know what to put in all the variables

• Hussein Abbas
    Hussein Abbas Member
    edited August 2020

i tried .lnk tried to play with it and no luck. did anyone figure it out? if yes please let me know thanks

• Alex Lopez
    Alex Lopez Member
    edited September 2020

I just copy an pre-built shortcut from a shared location or from Kaseya's Managed Files.

• Ryan Pirchio
    Ryan Pirchio Member
    edited November 2020

Any way to add changing the desktop icon to custom icon?

•  Aliaksandr
    Aliaksandr Member, Automation Exchange Moderator

AUTOMATION EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATOR

edited November 2020

Hello @Ryan,

That should be possible if you modify agent procedure to add also following text into .url file:

IconFile=c:\temp\favicon.ico

But please note that icon should be available on local file system of agent's machine.

• Ryan Pirchio
    Ryan Pirchio Member
    edited November 2020

I am not sure how i would add that and what line it would go on.  Can you provide an example?

• Hussein Abbas
    Hussein Abbas Member
    edited November 2020

hey Ryan, send me your email, i will try to send you my script and see if that works for you 

• Ryan Pirchio
    Ryan Pirchio Member
    edited November 2020
  • Hussein Abbas
    Hussein Abbas Member
    edited November 2020

check your email

• Jack Senesap
    Jack Senesap Member CHOCOLATE MILK

This no longer works for windows 10