Why did you get into IT? Tell us to win!

KaseyaKatie
KaseyaKatie Charlotte, NCMember, Administrator, Kaseyan, Kaseya Staff

COMMUNITY MANAGER

edited January 30 in Community Information

Did you know that today is "Get to Know Your Customers Day"? Our customers are certainly the lifeline of Kaseya so we want to get to know a little bit about you today. It's widely known that no two IT Pros have taken the same path to get into tech, so tell us:

Why did you choose a career in IT?

Three Community Members who respond to this post by midnight ET on Sunday, January 22, 2023 will win a Kaseya softshell jacket. The winners will be randomly drawn from all responses, but feel free to click the 😊 on responses that inspire you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Steven Richardson
    Steven Richardson NZMember CHOCOLATE MILK

I had always taken an interest in computers, mainly because that’s where the games were. I was able to type my name on a keyboard before I could write it with a pen - just to make sure I could get my name on the scoreboard ahead of my older brothers. Fast forward a few years, I’m 15, and living rurally. I don’t have my own wheels and it’s a half hour drive to anywhere useful. Instead of begging for rides all the time I stay home, figuring out how to push the limits of the dial up connection. I learned about dhcp and networking by setting up internet connection sharing from a dial up service and setting up some blazing my quick 54mbps WiFi around the house to share a 56k service between 5 computers. A couple of years later I land my first job with computers in an IT recycling business as a pimply 18 year old. One way or another I’ve still had a hand in supporting that business for the 16 years since they gave me my start - I’ll always have a soft spot for them! Since then, I joined an MSP with another person as their first engineer, I helped build that business up to 6 staff - ended up as the managing director. Then sold my business to a larger MSP and stayed on because it was a great environment, that MSP has since been sold to another great business - and once again I’ve stayed on and it’s been amazing so far! Long may the journey continue

• tom@tbkconsulting.biz
    [email protected] Outer Banks of North CarolinaMember, Managed Service Provider COLD BREW

My dad brought home a Sperry Unisys PC w/ the TURBO option running a whopping 12Mhz with 2 5-1/4" floppy drives when I was about 12, and I was instantly hooked trying to make it do what I wanted it to do !!! A year later he brought home what was basically today a glorified graphing calculator, a laptop computer called a GRID laptop. Then in High School they offered some programming classes and the teacher was a real jerk and did everything he could to break your program, so I figured I'd show him! And boy did I ever! I locked out everything I could think of, and he couldn't break the program UNTIL he walked over and pulled the power cord out of the wall - well, nothing I could've done to prevent that one!

But thanks to that High School teacher, I found out I had a real talent for troubleshooting, not only code, but computers in general. Everywhere I went after that I ended up being the IT Guy! In the Army, even though I was in the infantry I got moved to being in support because I knew how to work with computers ... Every job I had afterwards was the same thing, I ended up being the one everyone asked for help on the computer. So when my Army disability training finally came through a few years later and they gave me a choice between accounting and computers, it became a no-brainer - I went for computers and never looked back! Got my degree in Computer Science, started my MSP before MSPs were even really a thing and started using Kaseya when it was still very nascent and only a 3 person operation, and here I am quite some years later, still loving what I am doing!

• KaseyaKatie

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Congrats to @[email protected] & @Steven Richardson for winning our giveaway! Please send me a private message with your shipping details and jacket size (S-2XL).

• tom@tbkconsulting.biz
    [email protected] Outer Banks of North CarolinaMember, Managed Service Provider COLD BREW

PM Sent!

• jbals
    jbals Omaha, NEMember, Managed Service Provider CHOCOLATE MILK

I'm late to the game here, but going to share anyway. I worked with some of the C64 computers as a kid, but really took off learning to program AppleBASIC on the Apple IIe computer. Later got into MS-DOS and writing programs in GW-BASIC, Batch Scripting and entering Assembly code projects out of PCMagazine. This continued to develop into a general interest in programming, computer and network operation. Part way through college I started working with a multi-system operator ISP and continued to develop learning network design, troubleshooting and implementation, Linux/Windows system administration, cybersecurity concepts and application. I love to build and optimize in everything I do!

• KaseyaKatie

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Thanks for sharing @jbals! And good news, since you were the 3rd person to respond, we're surprising you with our final prize. Can you share your shipping information with me & your preferred jacket size?

This discussion has been closed.