GlueFiles gives you the ability to upload, store and manage files securely and centrally within IT Glue. In addition, for supported file types, GlueFiles can be previewed directly in your browser, reducing the need to download files.
Drag and drop your documents directly into your Documents List View or via the +New button, or upload and preview them as an attachment to an Asset.
You can also directly edit GlueFiles using the Microsoft Office Online editing interface. For details on how to do this, refer to our Office Cloud Editor KB article here.
This feature gives you the ability to upload and preview your files directly in your Documents List View.
How does this enhance your IT Glue experience? It saves you time in the following ways:
- Maximize productivity with the ability to centrally store any file
- Centralize more documentation in IT Glue. You no longer have to create blank documents for the sole purpose of holding a PDF
- Relate individual files to any other IT Glue asset to have all information at your fingertips
- Securely share files with IT Glue and MyGlue users
Uploading files to Documents list view
- Navigate to the organization that you want to add documents to. Click on Documents in the left-hand menu.
- In the Documents list view, click on the green + New > File Upload. This will open your Finder/Explorer.
- Select the file(s) from your device and click Open.Note: GlueFiles has a 100-character limit including the file extension. Uploading files with names longer than 100 characters will return the below error message.
- Wait a few moments for your files to be uploaded, then return to the list view.
Alternatively, you can also open your Finder/Explorer, select your files, and drag and drop directly into the Documents list view. Windows 10 users with an OS role of "Administrator" will not be able to drag and drop files into Documents List View in an Organization when using Chrome.
Once uploaded, supported files will take a few seconds each to have an in-browser preview generated. Previewing a file earlier will download it.
IT Glue lets you preview your files before opening them. This will save you time, letting you see if this is the file you need without having to download it first. Supported file types are:
- .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif
- .docx, .doc
- .pptx, .ppt
- .vdx, .vsdx, .vsd
Please note that preview for Excel files (.xls and .xlsx) is not currently supported.
Warning: If you download a file from the preview pane, it will be a converted PDF of the original file.
Files can be previewed in three areas within IT Glue.
- Attachments side panel
- Documents list view
- IT Glue search
Click each of the tabs below to learn about each one:
File preview in Attachments side panel
File Preview in IT Glue Search
- From any screen in IT Glue, start your search by:
- Clicking the Search bar at the top of the screen
- Pressing "Q" on your keyboard
- Pressing "/" on your keyboard
If you are searching outside of an organization, all three methods above will allow you to search on a Global level only. If you are searching within an organization, you can toggle the parameters of the search to either organizational or global levels by clicking the globe/house icon.
- Type in the name of the file you would like to preview. If the file type is supported, it will appear in the IT Glue search preview pane.