Use this article as a guide to create and maintain an RMM integration with SolarWinds MSP RMM, which gives you information about CPU, memory, disk usage, last reboot, etc.
MAXfocus was rebranded as SolarWinds MSP RMM, but some in-app references and screenshots in IT Glue as well as this article may still refer to the MAXfocus name. Please note that Solarwinds MSP RMM is their cloud-based RMM software, but they also support on-premises and hosted deployments with N-Central.
It should only take about an hour to get up and running with your RMM. This is a rough estimate based on our experience with several partners who integrated with their RMM.
The SolarWinds MSP RMM sync described below will do the following:
- Discovers all clients and devices in SolarWinds MSP RMM
- Matches clients to organizations in IT Glue using the SolarWinds MSP RMM Client Name field
- Suggests organizations based on name and pattern recognition
- Matches devices to configurations in IT Glue using a MAC address or serial number
- Suggests configurations based on exact name
- (Optional) Site matching - Used to match sites to sub-organizations in IT Glue
For more information about the device mappings, see RMM Field Mappings.
- An SSL connection with a valid certificate (not self-signed) from a trusted authority is required.
- Manager or Administrator level access to IT Glue.
- If you're integrating with a PSA and an RMM, you will want to first sync your RMM to your PSA and your PSA to IT Glue to make sure that the required data is available for matching.
- A Manager role will only be able to see RMM matched/unmatched data for organizations that they have explicit access to. To grant access to RMM data for all organizations, refer to Step 7 of our Adding and removing users KB article.
- IT Glue talks to SolarWinds MSP RMM via API to monitor for devices in the form of a read-only sync. For this to work, log in to SolarWinds MSP RMM as an admin user and go to the dashboard's menu (Settings > General Settings > API).
- If the API token is blank, then click Regenerate. If it's not blank, skip to Step 2 as the existing token is likely in use by another system.
- Fill out your email address and click the Email Token button. Do not skip this step!
- You'll receive an email confirmation from SolarWinds MSP RMM with both your API key and your dedicated API server's hostname.
If you track assets for virtual machines and want to make these machines available in IT Glue, complete the below steps:
- From SolarWinds MSP RMM, click View > Asset Tracking.
- Next, click Settings > Asset Tracking Settings.
- Under the Virtual Machines tab, select the "Allow Asset Tracking to report on Windows Virtual Machines" checkbox and click OK.
Note: If no information shows up under the Assets Tab for a virtual machine, then it will also not be in the report and will not show in IT Glue.
Enter your RMM credentials
- Log in to IT Glue and navigate to Account > Integrations. Then, click on the green + New button and then on the MAXfocus icon.
- Enter the server hostname and API key (see instructions further above). Then, click on the Connect button.
- After you enter your RMM credentials in IT Glue, you will need to match your IT Glue Organizations to either Clients or Sites.
Matching on clients will allow you to map to top-level organizations in IT Glue.
Matching on sites allows you to map to organizations and sub-organizations in IT Glue.
You can change this preference at any point. If you change your preference later, existing matches will be reset. For more information about sub-organizations, see Working with sub organizations.
Note: If the credentials fail for any reason, syncing will stop until you re-enter your credentials.
- From the Account Integrations screen, click Actions > Start Manual Sync.
- When the sync is complete, the Status column changes from Syncing... to OK.
IT Glue discovers organizations and configurations and tries to match them to data in your account. The matching logic can be found in the Introduction section of this article. Anything that isn't automatically matched will need to be manually actioned.
- From the Account Integrations screen, find your RMM in the list and click on Actions > Matching.
- In the Unmatched tab, review the unmatched organizations.
- If you're happy with a suggested match, click Accept Suggestion to accept it.
- If there is no suggested match, or it is incorrect, you can search for and choose a different organization using the Match To field.
- If no organization exists in IT Glue, you can choose to create an organization. You can also choose to ignore groups, which means they won't count as unmatched items in subsequent syncs.
Warning. Before creating an organization from the matching screen, ensure that no corresponding organization already exists, otherwise a duplicate will be created.
- If any matches are incorrect, click on Actions > Change Match and select a different organization to match to.
Once all organizations have been matched, the same process should be followed for any unmatched configurations.
- From the Matched tab, choose any organization that has unmatched configurations, click the Actions button, and select Match Devices.
- For any unmatched configurations, you can either accept the suggested match, search for an IT Glue configuration by entering the name in the Match To column, or create a new configuration by clicking Actions > Create Configuration.
- Before you create configurations, first match any of the devices based on MAC addresses or serial number, for example, virtual servers. When you're done matching, you can create (in bulk or individually) any of the remaining devices coming in from your RMM.
Important. We don't recommend that you create configurations from your RMM if you'd like to then have them populate from IT Glue to your PSA. New items created from such data will not sync with your PSA unless you choose to do so manually by editing and saving each and every item. This is absolutely manual and is not recommended.
- Repeat for each organization until all configurations are actioned.
Once everything is matched, the RMM setup is complete. At any time, you can come back to these instructions to discover and match new organizations and configurations from your RMM.
Before an organization, site, location, or company in an RMM tool can sync with IT Glue to create an IT Glue organization, you must add at least one configuration to it. If there are none and the organization does not already exist in IT Glue from any other source, then it will not appear in IT Glue. In this case, you will need to create it manually.
Only RMM companies that have at least one RMM record will sync into IT Glue.