After your network devices are loaded into IT Glue, the Configurations list view gives you a complete view of just the devices, and this can be filtered and sorted in multiple ways.
To document subnets, use the LAN flexible asset. With this flexible asset, you're primarily adding links to devices, so that you can later fetch one from the other and vice-versa. It was designed simply and is a great example of an asset that can be expanded over time.
Note that if traffic on the network is separated using VLANs, the LAN flexible asset is where you should document the VLAN configurations, adding links to the relevant switches. Alternatively, if the VLAN is completely separate despite being connected to the same router (e.g. a guest wireless network), you could consider creating the VLAN as a sub-organization instead. This lets you make sure the VLAN configuration has more visibility whenever there is an issue to troubleshoot. For more information on using sub-organizations, see Working with sub-organizations.
- Load the network attached devices in the client environment as configurations.
- Visit Account > Flexible Asset Types > LAN to ensure the available fields and drop-down options are in line with the information you want to capture. Suggested additions include: key internal DNS entries, switch routing, DHCP options, and managed UPS systems.
Create entries for each subnet using the instructions below.
- Navigate to the organization you are onboarding.
- Click on LAN in the left sidebar and then on the + New button in the top-right corner.
- In the Create LAN screen, complete each of the below fields:
Name - Enter a name that your team can easily identify.
Subnet - Enter the subnet mask. This will be displayed in the title of the document after the name.
Location - Search for and select the location.
Firewall - Search for and select the configuration item/security appliance.
Switches - Search for and select the relevant configuration items.
Servers - Search for and select the relevant configuration items (virtual and physical).
Network Diagram - Embed a network diagram. Y ou can embed a variety of media in flexible assets. For instructions on how to embed a diagram, see Using Lucidchart to embed diagrams and Supporting embedded content in flexible assets.
Floor Plans/Photos - Click the Choose Files button to upload server room photos.
DHCP Scope and DHCP Server - Add DHCP information.
- Click Save.