Why is the Patch Scan for machine failing?
Under Patch Status it shows the following error: "Scan error - Operating system not determined".
Script log contains the following error reported by the "Legacy Patch Scan" script: -
FAILED in processing THEN step 11, Execute Agent DLL Function, with error Spawn Failed, DLL = c:\temp\kPtchMgt.dll, Arguments = -v -m "c:\temp\mssecure.xml" -k "c:\temp\odt\kptchdat.xml" -d "c:\temp\odtscan.xml" -o "c:\temp\patchscn.xml"
When a Patch Scan is run for the first time on a machine, a legacy scan is run to detect patches from prior to October 2007 when Microsoft changed their update detection methods. The legacy scan engine uses MSXML4 SP2.
The "Spawn Failed" error is almost always a MSXML COM failure.
This issue can normally be resolved by reinstalling the MSXML 4.0 : -
1) using "Add/Remove Programs" on the machine, remove all applications shown for "MSXML 4.0 SP2"
2) in the %windir%\system32 directory, delete the following files: -
3) delete the following registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0\CLSID.
4) download msxml.msi from this Microsoft page and save to the computer - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en
5) from a command prompt, run msiexec /i "\msxml.msi"
After successfully installed, rerun the patch scan.
Kaseya Patch Management (all versions)
Microsoft MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services)