To help troubleshoot a potential cause for a SharePoint backup failure (full or differential)
SharePoint backup fails due to an unavailable share
1. Confirm that there are no active SharePoint backups in the job queue.
2. At this point, there should be no SharePoint RAE related shares on the appliance. If there are we need to remove them.
3. Use a tool such as PuTTY to SSH to the Unitrends appliance.
4. Edit the Samba configuration file:
# Sample RAE share section:
# Remote Application Engine Share 20150626163240
path = /backups/rae/92/backup
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
5. You will see a section as shown above. Arrow the cursor over these rows and delete the rows one at a time by pressing the 'd' key twice per row.
6. When you have removed the extraneous RAE share related rows, type "<ESC>:wq" without the quotes, and <ESC> means escape key, to write the file and quite to the command line.
7. Now we need to remove the related folders from the backups storage:
rm -rvf /backups/rae/*
8. Restart the Samba service:
service smb restart
9. Run a SharePoint full backup.
The appliances fails the new SharePoint backup because there is already a RAE share for that instance.
For more detailed information on backup failures and performance issues see Unitrends KB 5062 - Backup Failures and Performance Issues